Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides)
Sea Buckthorn is very popular for self-selection with cats, dogs and horses! Here are some interesting facts.
- Finnish researchers from the University of Turku have shown that Sea Buckthorn reduces the risk of developing blood clots, known as deep vein thrombosis (DVT).
- The researchers tested the effects of sea buckthorn oil on a group of male participants at risk of developing blood clots and found that the sea buckthorn oil significantly prevented platelet aggregation — thereby reducing the risk of clotting.
- What’s more, in the Finnish study, sea buckthorn was shown to be just as effective as — but much safer than — aspirin for preventing and even dissolving blood clots.
- Boosts collagen production / cell renewal / tissue regeneration;
- Improves condition of coat / hair / skin / hooves / nails;
- Enhances ability of skin to retain moisture;
- Supports mucus membranes, often selected for ulcers;
- Alleviates symptoms of the menopause;
- is often selected to aid repair for skin and eye problems including burns;
- helps protects from free radical damage;
- Sea buckthorn seed oil has been found to contain the highest known levels of a rare omega-7 fatty acid called palmitoleic acid, which has been shown to help moisturise the mucous membranes throughout the body.
- Provides one of the richest sources of vitamins and nutrients, including vitamins C and E, folic acid, beta-carotene, lycopene and zeaxanthin . . . which have all been shown in latest research to help protect against chronic diseases like cancer and heart disease.
- Oil from the plant’s seeds is also packed full of health-boosting fatty acids such as oleic, linoleic and alpha-linolenic acid which have been shown to help reduce wrinkles and preserve the skin’s moisture, helping to make it feel softer and more supple.